Chicken piccata is a delicious, lemon flavored poultry dish, which is available at most Italian restaurants. Chicken piccata can be served along with rice or pasta, and a side of steamed vegetables, such as broccoli or green beans, for a complete meal. This recipe makes 4 servings of chicken piccata.
Chicken Piccata Recipe Ingredients
- 1 pound thin sliced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup capers – drained
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley – chopped
Chicken Piccata Recipe Instructions
- Place half of the butter and half of the olive oil in a medium to large frying pan.
- Place the frying pan over medium heat.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge the chicken breast pieces in the flour mixture.
- Add half of the chicken to the pan of melted butter and olive oil.
- Cook the chicken until light, golden brown on both sides, and no longer pink in the middle.
- Remove the chicken to a large plate.
- Add the other half of the butter and olive oil to the frying pan.
- Once the butter has melted, add the rest of the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the second batch of chicken to the plate with the first batch of sauteed chicken.
- Add the lemon juice, chicken stock and capers to the frying pan.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and scrap up all the brown bits of chicken from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken back to the pan.
- Cook for another few minutes, until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Add additional salt and/or pepper to taste, if desired.
- Serve the chicken piccata immediately.
- Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for a day or two.
Recipe Tips and Suggestions
- If thin sliced chicken breasts can't be found at the grocery store, take two regular boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and slice them in half lengthwise.
- Fresh basil, oregano or marjoram may be substituted for the parsley if desired.
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs may be used in place of the fresh herbs if that is all that is available.
- Chicken or vegetable broth may be used in place of the chicken stock.
- A bit of Parmesan cheese may be sprinkled on top of the chicken piccata, right before serving.